JOB SUMMARY: Functions as lead interpreter for the Agency. Translates/transliterates English to American Sign Language/American Sign Language to English in a variety of community settings (Medical, Mental Health, Court, Law Enforcement, Social Services, Educational, Social, Religious, and Entertainment). Recruits, trains and mentors other staff and contract interpreters. Assists the Interpreter Coordinator in the office.
- Adhere to the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) Code of Professional Conduct
- Translate/Interpret for Deaf individuals in community settings
- Assist with communication needs of Deaf walk-in/call-in consumers
- Maintain availability to accept emergency assignments, including regularly carrying the agency’s emergency pager in order to respond to emergency calls
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, establish, implement, monitor and enforce requirements for agency interpreters.
- Supervise and evaluate job performance of staff and contract interpreters
- Actively recruit certified interpreters to serve as either Staff Interpreters or Contract Interpreters.
- Oversee and support the maintenance of a roster of qualified and certified interpreters
- Provide in-service training for staff and contract interpreters
- Act as mentor for novice contract interpreters and students
- Plan and conduct statewide workshops related to interpreting
- Establish and maintain effective, professional working relationships with community businesses and Deaf consumers
- Actively seek new contacts within the community in order to offer interpreting services
- Serve as agency liaison to DODDBHH under direction of Executive Director
- Keep current on regulations, pending legislation, issues and information concerning issues affecting VOICE, Inc.
- Research issues and manage special projects related to interpreting as assigned.
- Support, collaborate with and assist in the efforts of the Executive Director to educate community members, organizations, and businesses regarding the use of Sign Language interpreters.
- Attend designated staff meetings and trainings
- Perform minimal clerical duties specific to the interpreting department at the direction of the Executive Director or Interpreter Coordinator
- Perform other duties as required by the Executive Director or Interpreter Coordinator
QUALIFICATIONS: Graduate of an Interpreter Training Program with a minimum of an Associates Degree. Possess licensure through Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) or through Michigan's Division on Deaf, Deaf-Blind, and Hard-of-Hearing (DODDBHH) at BEI II level with Medical/Mental Health endorsement. Minimum of one year of experience interpreting in a variety of community based settings.
To apply for a position with V.O.I.C.E., Inc. forward your resume and a cover letter indicating the position for which you are applying to:
ATTN: Human Resources
4274 State Street
Saginaw, MI 48603
Or you may call us at 888-748-6423 to answer our over-the-phone questionnaire and schedule an interview.